Thursday, July 15, 2010

Saying Goodbye... for now

So I leave for the adventure of a lifetime in 4 days and I can't even begin to describe the emotions and feelings running through my head.

Excitement: I cannot believe this is about to happen! Soon I will be living with a Cambodian family learning a completely new culture and helping many people. This opportunity is a gift few have the ability to experience and I can't wait to start living the life of a Peace Corps Volunteer for the next 27 months.

Sadness: There's no way to get around it, I am saying goodbye to many amazing people for the next 27 months and it is something I am finding very hard to cope with. My friends and family are awesome individuals I am extremely fortunate to have in my life and leaving them behind for such a long time brings me to tears. But these situations have come and gone before... the sadness WILL pass... and it will be replaced by the memories of this upcoming adventure.

Determination: My time in Cambodia is going to be both rewarding and trying. Times may get rough but i'm more determined than ever to use my mind for good and come up with creative and useful ways to accomplish any goal I set for myself. There is so much I will be able to do and it is up to me to take advantage of my time there to improve life of the Cambodian people.

Questions?: Will I have a toilet seat to sit on / will there be toilet paper? Are there really tarantulas the size of my face? How hot is hot in Cambodia? Will I be living with 5 or 15 family member? How am I going to communicate with friends and family back home? What is monsoon season really like? and the list goes on...

These being the most prominent feelings, many more are swirling throughout my head. For now, I'm focusing on chilling with the people important to me, saying "see ya later", trying to get my America on and absorb everything that is most likely not going to be available in the coming months. For my friends and family just remember, this is not a goodbye forever. Its simply a see ya in a year or two and keep in touch during this "long adventure".

2 comments:

  1. It's not really goodbye Chris .... it's 'see ya soon'. Thank God for the internet because you will always have your family and friends right at your fingertips. So, lucky for us, we get to go along on this journey with you so keep the blog going and just know that we will all be waiting here when you return. I am so proud of you and know you will help so many people over there. They are gonna love you !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saying goodbye is hard to do...but I keep thinking of the amazing journey you are going on and all the amazing things you will experience...and all the people you will impact in Cambodia as well as here. You have been given a gift and you will take this experience for all it is worth...exactly like you did with your 4 yrs at Penn State. Never look back with regret and remember we are here when you need us. Love you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete